Thursday, January 17, 2013

Comparison Thursday: Grey Glitters

Today's been a rough day.  I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and have been irritable all day.  Don't you hate that?  Add on top of that, I've been singing songs from Les Mis for four days.  FOUR DAYS.  It's my all time favorite musical and has been since I was 11, but there's only so much a person can take.  I can't get them out of my head.  So, in an effort to make myself giggle a little, I decided to watch something pretty damn spectacular.  Go ahead.  Click play.  I'll wait. (Please bear with the introduction he does because the video is totally worth it - especially if you're a console video game nerd like myself.)


HAH!  Fantastic.  It never ceases to make me smile and put me in a better mood.  Plus, I'm now enjoying my first beer since Christmas, Sweet Water Dank Tank the Gimp.  I've been trying to cut back on my alcohol just to get healthier (I'm gluten intolerant after all), but it's sooooo hard.  I love that sweet manna from heaven.  I'm also watching some Arrested Development and Eureka while the hubs snoozes on the couch with the kitties.  My night is definitely going much better than my day!

Now that that's out of the way, let's take a look at today's Comparison Thursday: grey glitters.  What's your preference for spelling the word grey?  Grey or gray?  I don't know why, but I've always spelled it grey.  If that drives you crazy, I apologize and give you permission to flame me in the comments, lol.  As you may have noticed, I've changed up the way I review polishes on the blog.  For Comparison Thursdays, I won't be doing full blown reviews of these polishes like I do in normal review posts.  Instead, I'll focus solely on comparing each of the relevant polishes instead of going into too much detail.  Then, I'll do a detailed review of each polish at a later date.  How does that sound?

Anyway, back on topic.  We're going to take a look at four of the grey glitters I have in my stash: Pahlish Sitting in a Tin Can, Dollish Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto, Pahlish Sullen Girl, and Dollish the Many Shades of Mr. Grey.



Here they all are together.


And here they are blurred so you can see the gorgeous glitters a little better.


Sitting in a Tin Can


Sitting in a Tin Can is a charcoal grey jelly with fine black glitters and multi-sized and -shaped silver holographic glitters.  SiaTC applied really smoothly without much work, but the smell was pretty off-putting - almost like I was at my grandmother's house playing in her perfume.  I noticed this with Sullen Girl, as well, so I'm not really sure what base Shannon is using or if it's something else that she adds to her polish to make it so...  pungent.  The glitters in SiaTC have sunk, but they shake up easily.  Although, they were a little more difficult to dig out of the bottle than the other three polishes.  This is two coats over undies (Gelish Cashmere Kind of Gal).  Other than the fact that the glitters took a little effort to spread and the smell was a bit too strong for my taste, I really do like this polish.  It's probably my favorite of the four.


Domo Arigato(u) Mr. Roboto


I'm anal.  It's Arigatou, Ms. Dolly.  Not Arigato.  Anyway.  Roboto is a grey jelly with a lighter base than SiaTC.  It includes silver holo hexes in two sizes, iridescent glitters, and black hexes in two sizes.  Roboto suspends well, mixed easily, spread well, and only required a little dab and then a swipe on the second coat for full opacity.  It's not as dark as SiaTC and is a little more blue-toned than Sullen Girl.  The lack of smell and ease application puts this in my second favorite slot.


Sullen Girl


Sullen Girl is a bit lighter grey jelly than SiaTC and a little more brown-leaning than Roboto.  Again, this little baby smelled pretty bad.  It lasted on my hands for a whole day even with a shower, if that tells you anything.  Plus, it clumped.  A lot.  Like, a whole lot.  It was a massive pain to apply, which was completely opposite of SiaTC that applied soooo easily.  This is four coats to get an even and non-streaky end product.  The iridescent glitters make this one unique in the bunch.  This was easily my least favorite.  I'm sure that you can add some thinner and fix the thickness right up, but I also wasn't really sold on the color combination.  It'll be making its way to my sales page in the next few days.


The Many Shades of Mr. Grey


Grey is the outlier of the group.  It's a clear base with gun metal, silver, and black glitters without any holo goodness.  It spread so easily and looked great over the undies I chose (still Gelish Cashmere Kind of Gal), which I had been battling with for the whole week trying to determine whether I like it or not.  I'm actually really digging it with Grey on top.  I knew it wasn't really in the same family as the other three, but I wanted to toss it in just in case anyone was curious.  It's still really pretty, and I love it for different reasons than I love SiaTC and Roboto.


Depending on what you're looking for in a grey polish, you could probably get away with only having one.  If you want iridescent, go with Sullen Girl.  If you want holo-y goodness, you can't go wrong with either SiaTC or Roboto.  You'll just need to determine what base jelly color you like best when making your choice.  Here's my order of preference, in case you're curious: SiaTC > Roboto > Sullen Girl.  Grey falls in a different spectrum.

You can purchase Pahlish at her Etsy store and Llarowe.  Follow Shannon on Facebook and Twitter for updates, news, and new collections.  You can purchase Dollish Polish at her store (NEXT RESTOCK IS TOMORROW!!!!), Llarowe, and Overall Beauty.  Follow Dolly on Facebook and Twitter for updates on restocks and new collections.

Which is your favorite?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I think I like Mr. Grey the best. As for Les Mis, I feel your pain. It's been stuck in my head since I saw it last weekend. I love the music but it's driving me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I know. This morning, I woke up with the Chrono Trigger song in my head. It's just as bad as the real Les Mis songs, rofl!

      Delete