It's orange. An orange that I like. Waahuh??
I actually did this mani last week when I was focusing on the "maybe" polishes. I received Zoya Myrta for free during their Summer Beach and Surf Instagram promotion, and I was a bit worried that I'd hate Myrta because, well, it's orange. I had no idea how good it would look on me, though. Here is Myrta with one coat. ONE COAT! One coat polishes are seriously my favorite thing in the world. It means less time applying and less time waiting for it to dry. Plus the brightness and shine are just gorgeous. I haven't even applied a top coat! It applied easily, no pooling, not too thin, and glided over the nail with ease. It's a foil, so I have my suspicions that it may be a great stamping polish, too. I really like the foil look on this guy because it adds depth to the color. I think this orange works on me because it's bright and red-toned. I don't feel like I can pull off the lighter more yellowy oranges.
Next I applied Pretty and Polished He is King. Here is Chelsea's description of this polish:
"Leo is a hot headed lover and can be your worst enemy or your greatest love. You will find a fiery depth to this polish with its blood orange hue. Hidden inside each bottle is one tiny orange heart."
The bar glitters in here matched Myrta perfectly, so I knew they needed to be united in a mani. He is king has a light orange jelly base with fine dark orange (or maybe red?) hexes, orange bars, and larger orange hexes. I have been on the fence about this one for a little while. It applies great - no clumping or dragging. It has this amazing depth due to the varied size and shapes of the glitters. But I'm not always a huge fan of bar glitters due to their tendency to curl.
The orange still looks great!
Although, after looking at these pictures, I think I my mind has been changed. I'm really starting to love this polish. The bars and fine hexes give the illusion of fur with the larger hexes adding depth and sparkle. Plus, I'm honestly looking forward to finding the tiny black heart!
Verdict: They're both keepers! Although, after removing Myrta I had SERIOUS staining. Like, my nails were orange. Still are. That's really the only bad thing about it. However, I'm really looking forward to using Myrta with some Halloween stamping! The consistency seems pretty well suited for konad - and it won't stain if it's on top of another mani! Plus, I think He is King will also look great as an accent on a Halloween mani. You can get Zoya at Ulta and online. I'm not really sure who else sells them around me, so I can't really help much there. You can get Pretty & Polished from her Etsy store or Llarowe. Be warned, though, that P&P's zodiac collection is not available on Llarowe. They are LE's that can only be purchased through Chelsea herself. Also, Llarowe marks up the prices for P&P quite a bit, but they do deliver internationally. Check her Facebook page for restock updates.
Ok, and now to answer some questions from Jen (The Polished Zombie) and Chrisie (Fingers and Toads)! These two lovely ladies nominated me for the Leibster Award! Thank you, ladies! Hop on over to their pages and give them a follow! Love both of their blogs. Plus, I made it easy by giving you the links. No excuses now, eh? Hah!
11 Random Things About Me
1. I am fluent in French. I started taking French in high school as just a requirement, but I got really into Francophone lit in college.
2. I have 2 kitties! Jynx (white and black) and Fenway (black tabby):
3. I bake as a side-job. I do gluten-free as well as regular. I do primarily cupcakes, but sometimes I do cookies.
4. I'm allergic to red grapes, so I can't have red wine. It sucks. I love red wine, too, but I don't really like purple rashes, lol. I'm like Violet Beauregard.
5. I read a ton of books a year. For a while I would do a few a week, but I've sort of backed off since I started doing my nails.
6. I used to be on the swim team when I was little. My best stroke was breast stroke.
7. I'm from Georgia, but I lived in Boston for 4 years. Sometimes I think I'm more Bostonian than Georgian. I'm back in Georgia now, but I seriously miss Boston all the time.
8. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a huge dork. I love most things sci fi and anime. I'm not really the cosplay type of gal, but I've always wanted to go to ComiCon and DragonCon (the big sci fi convention in Atlanta).
9. I'm a total gamer chick. I love video games and play them all the time with the hubs.
10. I married my high school sweetheart. We met when we were 14/15 and started dating at 17. We've been married for 7 years!
11. I turn 30 in 5 days. O.o;
- What was your first bottle of polish you remember purchasing? Hmm... I can't remember all of the ones I bought as a child. My grandmother and I would do our nails all the time, but they were mostly hers. I guess I'd say Nicole by OPI Pink Flower Power. I still have it, too. :)
- First lemming killed? Very Pretty Vampire from a swap buddy!
- First polish disappointment? Hare Asteroid Turf (see for yourself!)
- Nail trend you absolutely HATE? Ridiculously long nails. I just think they're tacky... If they curl over, that's just not pretty.
- Favorite pair of shoes? BCBG pink slingback platforms.
- Cake or death? CAKE A MILLION TIMES CAKE!!
- Pirates or Ninjas? Pirates, all the way. I don't really know why, though, because Ninjas are pretty effing cool.
- Unicorns or Narwhals? I'll admit... I had to look up a Narwhal. When I did, I felt stupid, ROFL! Unicorns, though. My hubby and I always have this joke about how all girls love ponies. So, I think that applies here as well.
- Movie you can quote the most from? Either Hocus Pocus or the Goonies! Most B.A. movies ever made. EVER.
- What are you reading right now? Let's Pretend this Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson, aka The Bloggess. If you aren't reading her blog, you need to. Like, 20 minutes ago. GO. Seriously. Clicky clicky on the link. I promise you won't regret it.
- What's the most you've ever paid for a single bottle of polish? Hmmm... $20 (with shipping)? I hated it, too. Not the polish, but caving to the peer pressure of purchasing. It made me feel dirty.
- Do you have any talents? Yup! I was a band geek, so I can play several instruments, including the French Horn, Trumpet, and Mellophone. I can also play *some* guitar, and I'm learning how to play my bass guitar when I'm not doing my nails. Hence the nubbins.
- If you could name a child a totally weird name, what would it be? Wow, that's a hard one. I guess... Maybe Tom Bombadil, rofl. Sorry, I <3 LOTR. And that name is RIDICULOUS.
- I have several tattoo's, Do you have any or want any? what are they? I do not have any tattoos. I've always wanted one, but I can never make my mind up as to which one I'd want. Plus, I'm TERRIFIED of needles!
- Do you have any siblings? Yes, I have 2. They're my BFFs!
- If you could have an exotic animal, what would it be? A lyger. Those things are B.A.!
- If super powers are being issued out, would you get one? and which one? I'd totally get one! To be able to magically teleport to wherever I want to go, and be able to take friends along with you. I detest traffic. And DD'ing, lmao! But when it's my turn, it's my turn. Alas the things we do when we're responsible!
- Do you know how to pump your own gas? Of course!
- What is your favorite movie? Hard question!! I can give you a mini list: Hero (a Chinese film - GORGEOUS), Snatch, The Life Aquatic, the Goonies, Hocus Pocus, LOTR (all 3), Harry Potter (all 8). Yeah, not so mini. I'm kind of a film FREAK.
- Have you ever taught a a family member/friend how to do nail art/stamping? No, but I do get compliments all the time. Although, technically, I just posted a tutorial. Does that count?
- Do you hear alot of dumb comments about your nail polish collections? Yes. Ad nauseam. Although, most of my coworkers love my stash and various manis!
- Do you like sandwich polishes? Yes, but I'm not super great at doing them myself.
And that's that! No questions tonight since this bad boy was so long. Hope you guys have a great Wednesday night!