Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Low Buy / Untried August

Firstly, I apologize for the erratic posting schedule.  I'm still getting used to this, so I hope you'll bear with me as I work through all of nuances of writing a blog!

This month, many in the nail world have declared a No-Buy or Low-Buy Untried August.  Basically, we're all trying to either save money, get our number of untried polishes under control, or weed through our stash for sale or swap.  I have decided to go on a "scheduled" buy, which means that I have special sales I know I will buy from, and I will stick to purchasing only during those sales and only within my budget.

That being said, I have decided to go through my untried or not so recently tried bottles of polish to determine which ones I want to keep and which ones I want to sell or swap.  I've actually made pretty decent headway and will be updating the blog sale page within the next few days to include indies as well as mainstream and drugstore brands.

So far, I have worn Lynnderella Very Pretty Vampire over China Glaze Prey Tell and Essence Fateful Desire and OPI Absolutely Alice, but for one reason or another, I ruined those manis before getting to take pictures.  I've also done a pedicure with Enchanted Marge's Blue Beehive, but I won't subject you to feet pictures, lol.  Therefore, I'll have to start off with my third untried manicure!

I present to you OPI Rumples Wiggin' and Lynnderella Bride of Franken.




For the base color, I used OPI Rumples Wiggin', which is a light lavender creme.  It was part of the Shrek collection that is now discontinued, but you may still be able to find it in salons that sell older OPIs.  My bottle was a used bottle, so it was a tad goopy.  I plan to add a bit of thinner the next time I use it.  The purple is more of a red than blue purple, and I was surprised it looked so good with my skin tone.  Like all OPIs, this little guy wore like iron on my nails.  I only took it off because I got bored with the combo and was ready for the next untried.  This is with Nail Envy base coat, 2x Rumples Wiggin', 1x Bride of Franken, and Poshe top coat.


Oooooh.  Ahhhh.

These pictures just don't do BoF any justice.  Even the hubs commented on how cool the sparkles were.  BoF is an iridescent purpley-blue glitter top coat with a clear base.  I have noticed that my Lynnderella glitter top coats are quite goopy, but I tried to apply it as best as I could despite the thickness.  It takes quite a while to dry on its own.  It's not really a top coat hungry glitter, but it did do something weird when it had finally dried.  If you look closely, it looks like the glitters have made little pock marks on my Rumples Wiggin'.  I have no idea how that happened, but I plan to use Gelous before my top coat next time to see if it makes a difference.


Here's a blurry closeup to show you the pretty sparkle and weird pock marks.

The other weird thing about BoF is that the glitters are a weird pinkie-peach when not sparkling.  It looks like it clashes with the underwear, which was not so great.  But when you're in the sunlight or other prime glittering lights, this thing sparkles like a vampire in the sun!



To be honest, I prefer vamps who burn in the sun.  It may be just me, but aren't these two GORGEOUS??
You know, before Tom Cruise got all cray cray and Brad Pitt decided to start procreating like he was the last male on earth and needed to help the human race survive certain extinction?


So, there you have it!  Untried mani #4.  This brings my total tried untried count to 7!  The verdict on these two polishes?  They are both keepers!  I had originally bought Rumples Wiggin' as a swapper, but after having worn it, I just can't let this guy go.  I also plan to keep Very Pretty Vampire, Fateful Desire, Prey Tell, and Absolutely Alice.  However, I will be letting Enchanted Marge's Blue Beehive go within the next few days, so check my sales page later this week.  I have a special post coming up for Absolutely Alice and my other blue glitters, so check back in next week for that!

I wanted to talk about one last thing before I go.  I've got some pretty amazing items saved up as prizes for the blog.  If I can get to 50 GFC followers, someone may just win some of my favorite polishes that are perfect for a jelly-sandwich!

A file, OPI My Pointe Exactly, Dollish Domo Arigatou Mr. Roboto, and Essie Matte About You top coat

Tell your friends to come and follow me!  The sooner we get to 50, the sooner I can start planning my 100 follower giveaway!

Have you ever participated in a no-buy or low-buy?  How many untried polishes do you have?

5 comments:

  1. Lucky number 13!

    The IwtV macro is my favorite! I just got Rumple's in the mail, can't wait to try him out. Love the combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for the follow, Jen! I just hopped over to your page to follow you, too. I'm surprised that I hadn't already because I do actually read your blog, lol. You're going to LOVE Rumples! It goes on like butter. It's a good one to add to your OPI collection. :)

      Ok, pardon my stupidity, but what is IwtV? Sometimes I'm not very acronym savvy.

      Delete
    2. Rumple's is GORGEOUS on! I need to write up a post about it tonight. I topped it with F4's Piper and I swear the two were meant for each other!

      And thanks!

      IwtV = Interview with the Vampire. I was lazy and didn't want to spell it all out, haha! :)

      Delete
    3. LOL, that makes sense... Sometimes I'm not all there, hah! Can't wait to see your post on Rumples!!! I loved it on! Hated taking it off after getting bug spray on it. :( Stupid law work...

      Delete
    4. Yeah, that was supposed to be *lawn* work... I promise I don't wear bug spray when I meet with clients. That would be stinky and awkward, lol.

      Delete