Thursday, August 30, 2012

Comparison Thursday: Teal Glitter Top Coats

Welcome to another Comparison Thursday!!!  Personally, I am always looking for other options to the very hard to find and expensive polishes on my wish list.  I love looking at comparison swatches to see if I truly need a polish or if I can find a cheaper alternative for the expensive ones.  Also, comparisons help me determine if I need a polish at all because I may have one close enough in the same family to not warrant needing both.  I just came to this realization recently.  Before, I would buy whatever I thought was pretty, but I noticed I was accumulating some dupes and near dupes, which drives me CRAZY.  For me, near dupes are just as bad as dupes, especially since I'm working on paring down my stash.  I looked through my polishes and have discovered that I have enough dupes or near dupes to do Comparison Thursdays into next year.  Many of these comparisons will include several shades, not just two.  THAT IS INSANE.  I'm sure my stash pales in comparison to many of you guys out there, but it's still a bit daunting!  That being said, it's time to get down to business!





Let's take a look at teal glitters.  While the glitters below aren't exact duplicates, you may find a cheaper or more easily obtainable one that you like better than the expensive or hard to find options I'm going to show you.  The teal glitters I have in my stash are Elevation Stay Behind, Catch a Wave, Lynnderella Thank Blue, Dollish Spank You Very Much, and Dollish Mermaid Scales.  I got my Thank Blue through a swap group on facebook, but you can purchase them from Lynnderella on ebay, if and when they ever list singles.  Elevation can be purchased here, and you can follow Lulu's blog for updates and news here.  Be advised, you have to move quick to get Elevation polishes.  Dollish can be found at Dolly's store or on Llarowe.  Currently, neither Mermaid Scales nor Spank You Very Much are available at Dolly's store, but they are both in stock at Llarowe if you're ok paying a higher price.  Dolly has not announced plans to stock either of these in the near future, so Llarowe may be the way to go.


They look like they *could* be close in the bottle.


Back shot to see the glitters a little better.

Ok, now that the administrative stuff is out of the way, let's get to the polishes!!!  In the bottles, they all look like they have a very similar color scheme - teal with some sparkles.  However, there are some key differences once you get them on the nail.



You remember the nail catastrophe I mentioned yesterday?  Exhibit A: annihilated pinkie nail.  Sad days.


First, we'll start with Stay Behind, Catch a Wave.  This polish has a slight teal tint that only shows up because I'm wearing a white jelly underneath.  Otherwise, you can't really tell.  It applied a little thickly, but that was mostly because I was trying to get as many circles as I could on my nail.  SBCW is very unique in that it has circular glitters - in two different sizes, no less.  I know of only a handful of polishes with circular glitters, and they're all large and black.  SBCW also has iridescent glitters that make this polish sparkle like crazy in the light.  The glitters are much more sparse in this polish than any of the other polishes I will show you today, so if that's your thing, try to snag it next restock.  Luckily, SBCW is going to be a reoccurring color, so you should be able to grab some if you're quick.


Cirrrrrrcles!


Thank Blue is a very densely packed glitter top coat  It includes medium teal hexes and squares as well as finer teal and holographic hexes.  The base has a slight teal tint, but I'm not sure if that's from "intentional bleeding" or not.  I would definitely say this is a glitter bomb.  This picture is just one coat with the dab method.  If you want a more sparse look, I'm sure it can be achieved by using regular application techniques.



Hooooolo!


Spank You Very Much is a clear based polish with medium and fine teal hexes and smaller purple hexes.  There is no shimmer to the base, but the glitters are shiny enough on their own.  This is one coat with the dab method.  I think this guy will look great over black, too.



Perfect mix of teal and purple!

Mermaid Scales is the odd-man out.  It is a teal based jelly with smaller teal (or blue, maybe?) hexes and green and blue large and medium hexes.  It applied evenly, and the glitters spread easily without much manipulation on my part.  I think this could be really pretty with several layers to create a jelly sandwich effect.



It looks like bubbles under water.


Here's a blurry shot of all four so you can get an idea of the sparkle for each polish.




Thank Blue definitely has the best sparkle, followed by SYVM and SBCW.  Mermaid Scales didn't have much sparkle at all.

So, while none were exact dupes, I think that if you own one, you don't really need the others.  I'm not really sure what I plan to do with these guys.  I want to wear them each on their own before making any final decisions, but I'm not sure I can justify keeping all of them.  Either way, I'll let you guys know if I decide to put them on my sale page.

Lastly, I plan to start selling my polishes on Copious starting next week.  If you're interested in checking out copious, you can do so here.  Also, this is a great way to use up any Copious credits you may have!

Which is your favorite teal topper?  Which would you get rid of?

No comments:

Post a Comment