Thursday, January 16, 2014

GOT Polish Challenge: Stripes

So, for some silly reason, I decided to do a challenge... You know me. I can never commit to a full challenge, so we'll see how this works out. I chose Crumpet's Nail Tarts Golden Oldie Thursday challenge because 1) it will make me use older polishes that have been collecting dust in my helmers, 2) hopefully it'll help me get back on track with blogging more regularly, and 3) it isn't all about nail art! So, let's take a look at the rules and then my mani.

First, here are the challenges I've signed up for:



Next, the rules are as follows:


  • The polish you use must be at least a year old.
  • If you haven't been a polishaholic for that long, you can use the oldest polishes you have.
  • The polish should be previously used, but if you're stuck, you can use a polish from your untrieds stack.
  • You can use more than one polish as long as it fits the rules.
All polishes were either purchased by me or were given to me as gifts.

So, my choices for tonight's challenge are Cult Nails Time Traveler, which is my favorite navy blue ONE COAT creme, and Lynnderella Mlle Violet de Bleu.  



Both of these polishes are over a year old, but only Time Traveler has been used before.  I just couldn't do this mani without using MVDB.  It was entrenched in my brain, so I just had to go with it.




First, I put down one coat of MVDB without undies.  I wanted the naked parts of my nail to peek through the stripes and glitter.  MVDB is a very densely packed glitter polish, so I needed to use the dab method.  It spread easily and dried quickly.  I ended up using a layer of KBShimmer Clearly on Top just to make sure that the striping tape didn't mess up my undies.



Next, I used a pretty significant amount of striping tape, and then topped it with Time Traveler.  Have I mentioned that it's a one coater?  Yeah.  Awesome...  So I only needed to use one thick coat for the desired effect.  The only bad thing about Time Traveler is that it's a skin stainer, so make sure you keep it away from the skin around your nails.



I let this mani dry a little bit on its own, and then I applied another layer of Clearly on Top.  I love this stuff because it doesn't shrink, it dries hard, and, for the most part, it doesn't smear nail art.  After that, I was done!



Nail art always takes me forever to do, which is super frustrating and why I never usually do it.  However, the outcome is just so pretty that I may try to incorporate more nail art into my repertoire.  I really enjoyed doing this week's challenge, so I'm pretty pumped about doing the rest of them!  Next week is purple, and I have a polish that I wore to my sophomore homecoming that I'm planning to use.  And if you know how old I am, you know that was a little over 15 years ago.



You can purchase Cult polishes here.  Follow them on Facebook and IG for news and updates.  Unfortunately MVDB has been discontinued.  I was lucky to find this beauty on a blog sale, so keep your eyes on the sales boards because they do pop up every once in a while!  You can purchase other Lynnderellas at their eBay store.  Follow their fan pages on Facebook and IG.

Check out the rest of the gorgeous stripe manis from the other GOT Polish participants!


All polishes were either purchased by me or were given to me as gifts.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love that you thought to do the clear/glitter under the solid for that extra peek-a-boo dimension. Good luck on sticking with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks soooooo good. Stealing the idea in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was *so* much easier than my original stripes design that turned out horrible, lol

      Delete