Friday, February 7, 2014

Comparison Friday: Olive Green Holos

Today's comparison is all about olive green.  I'm not sure what is wrong with me, but I completely forgot to take macros of these polishes, so you'll just have to click on the photos to see them in more detail.  I'm actually missing two olive greens from this comparison, Dollish Master Chief and a custom from Nailant called Olive Snook, but they are both quite a bit lighter than these, so I thought I'd just hold off on adding them to this comparison.  Also, ignore my crazy dry skin.  I was doing a lot of swatching that day, and apparently I wasn't too Johnny-on-the-spot with my hand cream!  Anyway, let's get down to business!

*All polishes were either purchased or made by me.*


From left to right: China Glaze OMG a UFO, Blue-Eyed Girl Lacquer (special edition) Light in the Darkness, Enchanted Polish All Love Garden, and Enchanted Polish March 2013.

All four are linear holographics, and they're all green.  That's where the similarities end, though.  All photos are taken in either direct sunlight or artificial sunlight.


OMG a UFO
UFO is a true olive green linear holo.  The holographic pigment is much smaller than in the others, which is usually a pretty good indicator that it's going to have a tricky application.  And I wasn't wrong.  I needed to use my Aqua Base in order to make application bearable.  The tendency to drag and bald is high, so you'll need to be quick and accurate with your application.  This was two coats with one coat of KBShimmer Clearly on Top.  UFO is a member of the China Glaze Hologlam collection, which came out last year.  My bottle happens to be quite holographic, as you can see, but there are apparently some dud bottles out there.  You can often still find these in beauty supply stores, but they're also all over the place on blog sales, and usually for much cheaper than brand new bottles.


Light in the Darkness
LitD was a special edition polish I created for Depression Awareness week.  It is an olive green based polish with a gold to teal shift.  The holographic pigment is linear and strong without obscuring the shift.  Application was easy, and this is two coats topped with KBShimmer Clearly on Top.  Sadly, this polish is not available for purchase, but I wanted to throw it into the fray as well.  You can purchase other Blue-Eyed Girl Lacquers at my store here.  Follow me on Facebook or via my newsletter for news and updates on releases and restocks.


All Love Garden
ALG is also a true olive green based polish with a gold flash.  The holographic arc is prominent, but you can tell that the size of pigment is on the larger side making ALG a bit on the scattered side.  Application was nice, and this is three coats with one coat of KBShimmer Clearly on Top.  Dry time was a tad long, but not horrible.  I probably could've done two coats, but I wanted to make sure it was nice and opaque in my photos.  This polish is an exclusive made just for Mei Mei's Signatures, which is currently having flash restocks, so make sure you're looking at her page frequently until she gives the all sold out announcement!


March 2013
March is less olive and leans more blue than yellow.  I think forest green is a more accurate description than olive.  Like with ALG, it's on the vampy side versus the bright UFO.  It is probably the least linear of the group, but it is still pretty vibrant in low lighting.  Application was easy in three coats with one coat of KBShimmer Clearly on Top.  March was a limited edition monthly polish that was sold, guess when?, last March only.  It's a pretty rare one to find, and almost rarer to find swatches and reviews of online.  However, if you're looking for other EPs, you can follow Chelsea on Facebook and Instagram for news and information on restocks and releases at her store here.

So, there you have it!  What are your thoughts?  Which is your favorite?  For me, they're all just different enough that I don't really have a favorite.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. Simply wished to say your article is astonishing. The clearness in your post is simply nice and I can assume you are an expert on this subject so I decided to drop you a comment for motivation.
    Well with your permission, I'd also be glad if you could visit my blog and download a free copy of my new book titled Dating Zones For Guys. I'd be glad if you could give a short review of it too.
    Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.
    Regards from Daniel.

    ReplyDelete